Monday, April 22, 2013

People Complain, but Do Nothing to Help



Over the past week, I’ve been reading news about how there is no real effort to take care the problem named: “flood”. Recent flooding in Ciledug has had the people there fuming. Your friend in mind, Joko Widodo, or Jokowi, has been the man on the hot seat in this matter. I, however, find this rather funny.

For one thing, Ciledug is not even a part of Jakarta if I remember correctly. I believe it is part of Banten. Jokowi is the governor of Jakarta, so I don’t think he deserves the critique he’s been receiving in the past week. Of course, he could have done something, but the blame should not be all placed on him.

Another thing I want to point out is that it is not easy to deal with stuff like flood or traffic jam. There are lots of aspects needed to fully come up with a solution for problems. Unfortunately, Indonesians are the instant type. What I mean is that people expect someone to do something and, boom, problem solved.

One last thing that needs to be addressed is that the people that can only criticize have not done the littlest thing to aid the problem solving.  I mean, no matter how much efforts Jokowi and his peers do to solve the flooding problem, it will not do anything as long as we, as the citizen, throws our plastics, papers, sandals, and refrigerator (yes, you read that right, RE-FRI-GE-RA-TOR!) anywhere we please (read: the rivers, waterways, gutters, etc).

All in all, I guess what I'm trying to say is, Before criticizing others' effort, question yourself: "What have I done to help?"

-Radit-

No comments: