Friday, April 18, 2014

Why @veJKT48 is the true soul of Team J

Hello, and welcome again to another flash blog edition by -Radit-

Before I start anything, I want to make it clear that this post maybe viewed as an extremely biased and subjective post. Because it is.

So, fair warning, if you're not Ve-oshi (especially Nabilah-oshi or Melody-oshi), get the hell out of here! You may not like what you read.

Jessica Veranda

Basically I wrote this as a special type of review of Team J Second Stage: Dareka no Tame ni (Demi Seseorang). I watched the Night show (April 17th, 2014; 19:00) because I was curious of how team J would perform without Jessica Veranda. And what I found was really a shock.

For one thing, I expected the problem would be on Shinkirou and Koike. That wasn't the case though. The problem was on other songs, especially Warning, Seifuku ga Jama wo Suru, Natsu ga Ichatta.

For Shinkirou, Ghaida and Sendy performed beautifully that it didn't really matter. Sendy did the part Ve always does and did it to perfection. I don't know. Everything went great on this song

For Koike, Sendy did the monologue in her own way, (a very Tsundere way. Influence from RKJ, Sendy?) She made it HER song. So the absence of Ve does not really affect this song.

Problem started when the song are not really Ve-center. For example: Warning. A very upbeat song. From my past experience watching this song, I always get excited. However, that is not the case on this particular show.

Something was missing. Yes, the Irreplaceable Storm that creates the excitement. I don't know what it is about her, she just elevates Team J to a whole different level. I'm not saying team J is bad when she doesn't perform. They just don't have that spark to burn the audience. For this show other members tried their best to fill in the hole left by Ve's absence to no avail. Call me subjective (I did warn you), but I just don't feel the excitement when Ve does not perform.

If we want some analogy, Let's do basketball. Think of team J as The Los Angeles Clippers (Lob City). They are known for some ferocious dunks and alley ups thanks to Blake Griffin. Without Griffin, they can still perform good and win games, but the fans may not get highlight plays and be as excited as when Griffin is on the floor doing posters and finishing lobs.

Team J is exactly like that. Without Ve, they can still excite fans and do good, but not to the level when Ve performs. Maybe just her mere presence is a catalyst to the fans. I remember on my birthday Ve did not perform on Warning and people was not as excited as they usually are.

Maybe it's the way she always gives everything when performing and has good times. Her pure happiness when performing may infect some audience. Ve performs with incredible passion and unbridled joy. Don't get me wrong. The rest of Team J also perform with joy, but sometimes I caught them worrying about blocking and everything else that sometimes I feel that they do it because they have to. Ve on the other hand, perform very loosely and that becomes a plus because she goes with the flow. I remember one time she nearly collided with another member on stage and she made it as if she wanted to collide.

Maybe it's the "kibas rambut" she learned from Naomi. I mean, without it, she is already very "badai". With that deadly technique.... ugh. *thrown back to Pajama Drive Revival Show when I first get to watch her live*

There are thousands of possibilities on why Ve is such an influence to the success Team J is having with the set-list. For me, she is the true center of Dareka no Tame ni. She may not like it that I keep saying that she should be center, but after what her non performing did to me and several other audiences, she is undoubtedly the soul of team J because no one can replace her.

There are a few candidates, but most of them are not team J. Naomi and Viny comes to mind. but I doubt JOT will allow them to perform as Ve's Under. Possible candidate for her replacement is Saktia. Too bad JOT does not trust her with Ve's part.

If you think I'm saying that because she's my Oshi, maybe. But I get excited when watching team KIII. No Ve in that team haha.

Just to be clear, this is what I feel. You may feel differently, but to me, I feel that Ve is the reason for team J's success

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

for me, Demi Seseorang is an OK setlist, saved by its MC sessions. and the MC sessions are saved by Sisil. ever watched an MC session without Sisil? there you go.

but if I really have to consider the stage performances, i think i can agree with you. mind you the only time i watched Demi Seseorang, Kinal & Melody are absent. even then Beby comes close in terms of energy and expressions. Beby's technical accuracy is unsurpassed, though sometimes at the cost of excitement. the moniker "dancing machine", while probably true, is a double edged sword for Beby. all technique and no spark isn't good.

Ve, however, well, Ve's dancing has gotten more and more energetic for quite some time. and (i think i'm a minority here) i think that it's a good thing that she doesn't try too hard to give "eyelocks", since it allows her to really focus.

could it be her height? or her long limbs / fingers? you'd be surprised how big an asset graceful fingers are in dancing..

Light Community said...

I think we can all agree that Team J's MC are legendary even when compared to the entire 48 group. And I agree that Sisil's MC is one of the reason for that.

Performance is what gets me. I originally thought Kinal and Beby should be that spark because of their energy. You're right. Beby sometimes focuses too much on technicality and does not really connect with the audience. I agree she's the best dancer in JKT48, but not the best performer.

As for Kinal, I think she needs to tone down her energy. She uses too much when performing it becomes ridiculous. I get that she is a power performer but sometimes she tries to do too much, right to the point people watching will feel kinda awkward

Ve on the other hand, can manage her energy quite well. Granted her stamina is not that good. But she can be assertive when needed, but graceful at the same time.

If we look at some of the songs she performed up to this point, I think we can agree she is probably one of the best all-rounder. She can perform power song like Kagami no Naka Jeanne D' Arc (hell, she dominated that song in Pajama Drive Revival), sexy song like Junjou Shugi, mellow song (Shinkirou/Temodemo no Namida), and perform on a very high level

I think she can perform really well just for the fact on how she really knows her body and use it well (Modelling Background?)

Anonymous said...

*virtual high five (if you will) heheh

Ve in Kagami?? Now that's something to see ahh is there a youtube link to that perf somewhere? I deeply regret not seeing it.

Am i the only one who think that Beby hasn't quite pulled of the "cute n' innocent" look even in hanikami?

I'm sorry if i may sound negative and speculative, but for the sousenkyo, wouldn't the single selecteb be a song for mass promotion, as in TV, CM, radio, etc? So i still doubt whether JOT would have the balls to put someone other than Miss M as the center. Talent aside, she still has that commercial pull in the non-wota realm... I still voted for ve because of my underdog complex, though. It's just the teansparency i'm worried about. Putting a relatively unknown member, ecen if she won the election is still a big commercial gamble.

Btw congrats, you've just persuaded me to apply for dareka no tame ni theater ticket again!

Light Community said...

*high-five*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5cf2YxOxAw (be advised, this is a cam rip)

Beby is a power singer. I don't thing she's ever gonna pull the cute and innocent looks lol

JOT has to be transparent yes, but Personally, their influence on the vote is just to pump out sales of CDs. The final announcement will be (mostly) pure votes. Of course, Melody will be in there. You may not like it, but there are a lot of Melody-oshi out there. They just don't show up that much as they are mostly college students.

Apply for the next show (21 April) If JOT Verifies me I will be there as well. ^^

Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for the youtube link. Kudos to the cameraman also. Has he got a blacklist-wish or something? Lol.... That took guts to record.

But for the show, well i didn't get verified and won't risk taking the waiting list so i'll be relying on your report eheheh... And if those nasty chants still go on, please show a middle finger on my behalf lol...

Whoa i think ve's happy lately. Successful direct selling i guess? She even attempted a duck face in her easter greeting photo! Glad to see her cracking her shell little by little. Though i hope she won't turn into a Nabilah clone anytime soon lol....

Light Community said...

Personally, I think that cameraman has permission to record as he is from Trans7 doing a shoot for the JKT48 missions. So.... yeah lol

As for the chants. I wont realy give any shit. If i know the face, i'm gonna give a little bump and shove when exiting the theater :D

And yes, ve is having the easy part of her schedule right now. Also since she gets to have a 2 shot her "boyfriend" after yesterday's DS (HAAHAHA)

Anonymous said...

lol watch out the ikemen is at it again! Maybe they're juat trolling Kinal? Heheh

But for me ve & rena could've been a very sweet pairing. Remember the senbatsu calendar anouncement when Rena cried? How sweet is that?!. Shame Rena went to AKB..

Anyway how was monday's show? I heard Ve's hair flick is now even more lethal?

Any skyman news about live audience for the sousenkyo announcement?

Light Community said...

Nah, They really just gave the fans some services because their Shinkirou Duel has been one of the best so far. Kinal's been stressing out because of... her studies maybe.

"Rena and Ve" ship is quite nice, But it will be different from Ve and Ghaida/Kinal. kinda a mother-daughter relationship (just like Melody-Haruka)

Monday's show... I'm telling you. That was one of her deadliest performance. her last 2 performance has been on such a high level that she blew me away after just M03. lol. I don't know what it is about her amazing streak of awesome performance, it's just... wow.

Hmmmm. live audience for sousenkyou... If it is in a studio like I think it is, then it will most likely be limited to OFC. I haven't really do any research on getting into the set. If it is on some stage like AKB's sousenkyou, then JOT would probably release the ticket price 1-2 days before the event