Sunday, May 05, 2013

We want "New Jakarta"! Or do we?


Mass Rapid Transit, or the one we, Indonesian, call MRT, is one of Joko Widodo mega-projects. It is projected to be the solution of the never ending problem of Jakarta: Traffic Jam. On May 2nd, 2013, Jokowi finally gave the green light to start the construction of MRT. It will run through the City from Lebak Bulus to Al-Azhar University (elevated) to one of Jakarta hottest spot, Bundaran Hotel Indonesia (underground). 15,7 kilometers in length, it is estimated that it will spend approximately 125 Billion Yen. Based on other countries like Japan, Singapore, etc, it is hoped that people will switch to MRT so that there will be less traffic on the road.

However, being Indonesians, people have decided to go against this system, particularly, the elevated part that runs from Lebak Bulus to Al-Azhar University. Some of the reasoning are reasonable. Like trees have to be cut down to start building, but I'm sure Jokowi has thought of that. Also, the argument of crime increasing below the elevated rail is pretty strong, but again, I do not think the contractors are stupid enough not to equip some lighting under the rail. If I remember correctly, every goddamn flyovers in Jakarta has lighting under them. Also, if we build a tunnel, is that not where homeless will hide should there be a sweeping? Therefore, as strong as the two arguments said above are, I think adjustments will be made during and after the building.

That being said, there are arguments that I find extremely silly. One is that elevated MRT is going to make the area dirty and shabby. When I read this, I was like "huh?" And just when I thought Indonesians cannot be anymore stupid than that, I read another reasoning connected from the previous argument from them which is the pillars for the rail will be places to throw garbage. They completely missed the fact that the pillars are f**cking (forgive my french) inanimate objects that cannot do anything but support the rail above, but of course, being as dumb as they are, they cannot differentiate who's fault it is if the area became shabby.

Personally, I agree to the elevated type. Not that I'm claustrophobic or anything, but I like to be able to see where I am when I am traveling. I also like the view from above looking down. Additionally, I do not think we will be flood free by the time MRT starts its operation if it goes according to schedule. Even though Jokowi said that the underground part will be made flood-proof, I am kind of skeptical about that. That's why I support elevated because it will ensure people mobility even when a flooding occurs.

Unfortunately, I am only one of a few that actually want the "New Jakarta". The rest are too stupid to make a little sacrifice for progress.

-Radit-

No comments: